top of page

Our History

Founded in 1960.


The Glen Cove Yacht Club is located just inside the breakwater of Hempstead Harbor off Long Island Sound. It provides quick and easy access to the superb boating waters of the Sound, New York City to the west and New England to the east. GCYC sits on an historic site in the history of yachting.


In 1904 the New York Yacht Club's original clubhouse building was moved from New Jersey to the location of the current clubhouse and was called 'Station 10'. The stations were places where the NYYC members could congregate and provision their yachts. In 1949 it was closed, and the building was taken to Mystic Seaport, and it now resides at Harbour Court, the NYYC's site in Newport, RI. In 1960 a small group of boaters leased the site from the City of Glen Cove and formed Glen Cove Yacht Club, building a replica of the NYYC clubhouse. That building was destroyed by fire and replaced with the present clubhouse. Located alongside Morgan Park, the Club has a beautiful view of the Sound and Hempstead Harbor.

bottom of page